When the New Year hits, so does resolution fever. Many of us like to make new year resolutions and set goals to accomplish, which is an amazing thing! The big mistake, however, is getting too excited too soon and forgetting that we have an everyday life to deal with. *Sigh..* Although setting new goals and pushing through the limit is a healthy challenge, putting too much on your plate might just lead you to failure. But no worries, here are a few tips to help kick start this new year in a healthy way!
1. Be Realistic!
○ With a new year, comes new goals. It’s a fresh start to tackle those goals you
maybe didn’t get a chance to in 2017. However, DON’T GET AHEAD OF YOURSELF! Make sure you are aware of your schedule and what you are capable of so you don’t find yourself overwhelmed or disappointed. Establish your unfinished business or goals before moving to the next one. Be true to yourself and emphasize
2. Fail to plan, plan to fail.
○ Get into the habit of using a planner, sticky notes, notebooks, anything that
becomes a place for you to write down an idea you have or something you need to do. After a busy day, you don’t want to find yourself stressing over that one thing you knew you had to do but couldn’t remember what it was. If you have a dream or a goal, write it down and brainstorm ideas of what will get you closer to that goal.
3. Wake up a little earlier.
○ Waking up a little bit earlier each day will give you that extra time to either
enjoy that morning coffee instead of running out of the door with it, the time at night to read a book, or hit the gym! Whatever it is, giving yourself that extra boost will help. Yes, it’s hard to get yourself out of bed, but you will find yourself getting more out of your day.
4. Establish a routine!
○ Routine?! Doing the same things all the time?! Sounds boring, I know.
However, establishing a routine will get you on the path to making time for all of your priorities and not feeling overwhelmed later. Being aware of what you need to do first, but always set a time in the day for yourself. There are always ways to spice up your everyday life and Everybody needs a little “me” time, especially with school picking back up! This will lead us to our next tip:
5. Find a hobby, or two.. Or three 🙂
○ Focusing all of your energy on one singular hobby might wear you out faster
and make that one thing less enjoyable to you in a shorter amount of time.
Allowing yourself to indulge in multiple different activities that make you feel
good will overall lead you to a happier lifestyle. 6. Read 1 self-improvement book
○ No matter how content you are with yourself or your life, there is always room to improve or learn more. Knowledge never ends.
7. Be BOLD
○ Don’t be afraid to try something new, because you could just come to find out
that will be your new favorite hobby, food, class, etc. Speak up when you have a thought and share your opinion; the best way humans learn and become more understanding is by sharing knowledge with each other. Were you thinking of creating a blog or YouTube channel? Go for it! If you start something, you will never fail at it, you will be working at it. If you give up, that’s when you failed, so go after that dream of yours!
- De-process your life!
○ And no, I don’t mean get rid of your routine, I mean try to stay away from asmany processed foods as you can. By eating less processed food and more organic foods, you’ll be energizing your body naturally. With a healthy body, comes a healthy life. As they say: your body is your temple!
- Create a Vision Board!!
○ Vision Boards help you actually see your goals and remember what you weredreaming of in the first place! Don’t let your responsibilities fog your visions, always be aware of your priorities, but don’t let your dreams disappear. Plus, vision boards can be a fun activity to do with your friends.
10. LOVE !
○ Love yourself first and all of the rest will fall into place. Make this year about
YOU because when you take care of yourself, you can take care of others. Create an atmosphere of people, activities, and thoughts that positively influence you to be the best person you can be. And most importantly, love and care for the life you have because you only have one.
Happy New Year!